Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Things that must go...

I bought this shirt from Down East while I was visiting in Utah a few weeks ago. I have to be honest, I love this shirt.  It's a little different from anything I normally wear, which is probably one of the reasons why I like it so much.  Monday I wore it to teach school and got lots of nice compliments. I was feeling good until this happened.....

Older lady at my school who I work with: "Oh that is such a cute top!"

Me, feeling good, enjoying the compliment for such excellent taste in clothing:
       "Oh thanks.  I really like it myself."

Older lady at my school who I work with: "Where did you get it?"

Me, not sure whether I want to share the information because I like being the only one out here who has it: "Oh I got it at this store in Utah, while I was visiting a few weeks ago."

Older lady at my school who I work with: "Oh that's too bad, I would love to buy it for my daughter WHO IS PREGNANT WITH TWINS."

Me, suddenly not sure how to react to this backhanded compliment. "Well you can find it online." I proceed to give this woman the web address and leave her office. 

MORAL OF THE STORY: A woman should know you never tell another woman you want to buy the shirt they are currently wearing to give to their pregnant with twins daughter. It makes them feel like they look pregnant when they are not.  Thank you. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess this isn't an annnouncement . . .

katherine said...

i love that shirt! and really, old lady at laura's school, you are old, and by now, you should know how to talk to people, and be a little tactful, thank you. i guess though laura, for when you are pregnant someday (there is no pressure on my end, you can enjoy my kid(s) for as long as you want), but at least you have a shirt you could wear while being pregnant too, that is really cute?! ok, just trying to make you feel better! love you.

Em said...

Okay, so it IS a cute shirt, and it totally wouldn't work as a maternity shirt. It's not long enough. So unless her daughter is only 6 weeks pregnant (in which case she probably wouldn't know twins were coming yet), it totally wouldn't work. Lady's crazy.

Allison said...

Unbelievable. How can people be so oblivious (to current fashion and tact)? I LOVE the shirt!!

The Harpers said...

First of all, way cute shirt. Second, it doesn't look anything like a maternity shirt. Third, what woman who has had kids says something like that? Seriously.

Jen Vincent said...

Love the shirt! I think I'm ready for a summer shopping binge. That's dangerous...but anyway, do I know who this person is?? I had a woman who used to sneak in to use my office at one of my schools when I'm not there and I found here there one day. She tried to be all nice about and acted like it wasn't a big deal that she had weaseled her way into my office because I lock my office. Anyway, after having the gall to sneak into my office she then commented on how much she liked my shirt and wanted to know when my baby was due. I was so mad because my baby was 3 months old at the time...meaning I was no longer pregnant! Ugh. Seriously, you have the ability to sneak into my office but not enough brain cells to know to be careful to say something like that? Ugh. I'm sure you didn't even look pregnant. :)

RussellPage said...

oh lar, people are just so stupid sometimes. that shirt is darling and i am proud of you for being daring! just wait until you really are prego and the comments will just keep comin'

oh and i am such a dork for the water thing, honestly. i can't wait to see you!!!

Lacey said...

woopsy, that was me, i always forget to check who is signed in (i.e. proving my dorkiness!)

Monica said...

Laura, people are so funny! I can't believe she said that to you. Not only did she ask if it was a pregnancy shirt, but a pregnancy shirt for twins! You most definately do NOT look pregnant, and it doesn't look like a maternity shirt. My friend out here will also buy things from down east outfitters and not tell anyone because no one knows about that store out here! So, I totally get that. Cute shirt.. maybe I'll have to do some shopping there when I'm out in Utah next week!

Courtney said...

AHHHH! Too funny...I agree that you never even mention "pregnant" to anyone you don't KNOW is/is not prego! Whatever! I love the shirt and I am absolutely sure you did not look pregnant one bit! CRAZY LADY!

Tara H said...

Laura, it's the style nowadays- most cute shirts LOOK like they could be maternity shirts. but they can't, so tell the lady at school don't even try it. those shirts only look cute on skinny gals like you. if you are even remotely sporting any extra in the middle (ahem) than people will just actually assume you are pregnant and then stare in astonishment at the two children you are already toting around. really, I wouldn't know, just that a friend of mine told me. ahem.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails