"What do you mean?"
He said, " Don't you know that the secret to understanding a city and its people is to learn-what is the word of the street?"
Then he went on to explain, in a mixture of English, Italian and hand gestures, that every city has a single word that defines it, that identifies most people who live there....And if your personal word does not match the word of the city, then you don't really belong there." ....
"Giulio asked, "What's the word in New York City?"
I thought about this for a moment, then decided. "It's a verb, of course. I think it's ACHIEVE."
(Which is subtly but significantly different from the word in Los Angeles, I believe, which is also a verb: SUCCEED....
"What was the word in your family when you were growing up?"
That one was difficult. I was trying to think of a single word that somehow combines both FRUGAL and IRREVERENT. But Giulio was already on to the next and most obvious question:
"What's your word?' "
Eat, Pray, Love Elizabeth Gilbert
I'm usually all about New Year resolutions. I'm very goal oriented and competitive so naturally I like to achieve. Let's be honest, my New Year resolutions usually don't make it to May, probably not even to March. So this year I needed something new to motivate me. I have been intrigued by the idea of having a "word" to focus and drive my actions. My sister Mandy's word is LEARN. My mom's word is PREPARE. I've been thinking about what the year 2008 will bring for Mike and I and several words have crossed my mind, SURVIVE, PERSEVERE, or ENDURE. But I didn't love them. Well now that January is half way over with, I think I have finally come up with my word....
A D A P T
1. to adapt is to make fit for, or change to suit a new purpose
2. to adapt is to change an idea or behaviour to deal with a new situation successfully
3. to adjust oneself to different conditions, environment, etc.: to adapt easily to all circumstances
I'm come to terms with the fact that I can be uptight and rigid. I'm not always good with change. The year of 2008 will bring many exciting changes to Mike and I (location, time, environment, life style). I would like to adapt to make the most out of all situations and experiences that come my way.
Adapt to a new house, perhaps in a new city I have never lived in.
Adapt my lesson plans to meet the needs of ALL my students.
Adapt to my time to train for races- perhaps a marathon.
Adapt to Mike's crazy busy residency schedule come July.
Adapt my needs to benefit the lives of others.
What's your word?
10 comments:
I love your word--it's just perfect for your new year! It really is amazing how adaptable humans can be. Sometimes when I am faced with something I really don't like or something I really don't want to do, I will try imagining the opposite perspective or behavior. For example, when I have a task I really don't want to do, I will imagine what it would be like to do that task happily. And it helps!
laura, you are so intellectual, this is such a good thought, i have actually had two words that i have been thinking about this year, optimism and enthusiasm. These words mean a lot to me and i know i need to "be" them for my husband and daughter.
i also wanted to say that i think you are an amazingly adaptable person, look at what you have done for the last few years! i am very impressed, and know that you will be able to handle any changes that come to you this year!
Hey Laura! This is Heather Howe (Harper) you're old roommate. I saw your blog on Lacey's and came to check you out. How fun! It looks like you're loving life in Chicago (no surprise). We've been in Tokyo for 3 years and we're now in Boston. We have a blog too if you want to look happyharperhome.blogspot.com
I am reading that book right now and I love it! Love that you came up with your own word... and it's good! I hope you have to adapt to Colorado.
This is a great word for you...well chosen. I know you will be able to adapt to all that 2008 has to offer!
That's so awesome! I love it. That book sounds amazing too. do you like it? I'm trying to find a good book that I can take on our trip in a few weeks. Without the girls I might actually be able to get a few pages in...as for "my word"...I'll totally have to think about that one. That's going to be a tough one.
i love it and you and your attitude. i admire you sis. great thinkin. i am not sure what my word is for the year, hum, maybe a few, "JUST DO IT." part of my problem with not getting things done is my attitude about them, so if i just get up and start, i can do it and it is not so bad . . . hum, well, that will do pig, that will do. i love you.
ooohhh laura-- you're actually trying to get me to think?? You must be a teacher!! No,but cereal, I think this is a super post! Kudos.
My word, since my mission actually, is FAITH. Sometimes I try to do everything on my own, and try to bring things to pass on my own, but you know what, FAITH is amazing and it is the door to all miracles. I love having faith- faith that the future will work out, faith in myself, faith in my husband and our future family, and faith that I can be anything the Lord needs me to be.
I loved your word: adapt! That was so thought-provoking and gave me a lot to ruminate on. Gracias!!
Hey Laura! I love your word and New Years resolution. It sounds perfect for your life right now! How exciting and scary that you have so many changes this year! You always have such a good attitude about life! I admire that. I think that my word for this new year will be to SURVIVE (with two babies)!!haha.. just kidding.. but kind of not. :)
That is so funny that you brought this up. Right after I read that page I started racking my brain for my word. I STILL can't figure it out. I open to any suggestions:)
Post a Comment