Chicago takes the phrase GO GREEN literally. St. Patrick's Day is a huge deal here in Chicago. With this possibly being our last year here we had to take advantage of the festivities! First was the annual dyeing of the Chicago river.

We were among thousands of people waiting for the dyeing process to take place! Can you see all the people lined up on the bridge and on the stairs? I've never seen so many people at one place at one time, who knew dyeing a river could be so exciting?

Before shot. The river actually had a nasty green hue to it naturally. I wasn't sure what the finished product would produce. (ps check out across the river, can you see all the people lined watching?)
TA DA!



Then it was off to the St. Patrick's Day parade. This was Mike's first experience going to a parade! Here are just a few pictures of this joyous event.

Love the kilts.

Cheap way of doing a float.

The little Irish dancers. These girls were amazing!
It was fun to go spend the day in the city with all the crazy Chicagoans. I can't tell you how many fake Irish accents we heard through out the day. We are really going to miss this place.
10 comments:
That is some dang green water! Um, the FIRST time Mike saw a parade? Did he grow up in a closet? I hope he enjoyed it! That car with the hat on top was a very lame float. Love the Irish dancers...that's so big out here too.
Saw what you wrote about my toes on Kat's blog,
Nice.
Oooohh - that is so cool you guys went to see that! I knew that Chicago did that, but I had no idea it was THAT green! Good pics!
I am shocked by how green the river is. I didn't even remember that is was St. Patty's day. Can't wait to see what you post on match day.
That greeeeen is so amazing! How long does it last?
Let Mike know that Kentla and I will be glad to help him make up for lost time in parade watching! You know we love a parade!
i think as children we saw too many lame parades, tell Mike he didn't really miss out much. ok and i can not believe how green the river really gets, that is amazing! i am so glad that you have taken advantage of cool things while you have been in chicago! oh ya, and i let one of those dancers borrow my irish dress, it was no big deal.
Oh how cool! I love how they got that river so green. Ahh chicago- such a fun city!!!!!!!!!!
Oh how cool! I love how they got that river so green. Ahh chicago- such a fun city!!!!!!!!!!
I have lived in Chicago my whole life and have never been to the St. Pat's Parade downtown!!! I have been to many other parades though. :)
Hey, are you running the Shamrock Shuffle???? When is that? That is a very fun Chicago race, kind of like the marathon because there are soooooo many people. Chicago is a great city!
Two days until match day, right????? Woo hoo!!!!
You guys always do such fun stuff. What would happen if someone fell/jumped in that river. Do you think it would be permanent.
wow that was extremely green! how fun to actually celebrate St. Patrick's Day. I usually forget until someone asks where my green is, but i tried to remember for Halle's sake, not that we did anything special.
Post a Comment