Sunday, March 27, 2011

Some things are innate

Each day as Charlotte gets older I love watching little bits of personality come out. It's so funny to see the things that she does naturally on her own. Some of the innate characteristics/behaviors I find so endearing, others...mmmmm....not so much.

The following are examples of behaviors Charlotte has totally picked up on her own. She hasn't picked up these behaviors by Mike or mine example, and we didn't teach her these behaviors either.

1. Charlotte loves necklaces. She loves taking them off and on, wearing them around her neck, sucking on them, shaking them in the air, she can't get enough. Now friends, I NEVER wear necklaces. I'm not a big jewelry person AT ALL. Sure once in awhile I'll wear some Pretty Little Me earrings, but besides my wedding ring and a ring from one of my dearest friends, that's about all the jewelry I wear. She totally picked up on this habit on her own, she certainly didn't get it from me and she certainly didn't get it from her dad!
Endearing? Yes!
I don't want her too prissy but I do love the idea of her being a girly girl.

2. Charlotte is like any one year old. She's super curious and likes to test the boundaries. One day I had to tell her no, and remove her from the situation. I pick the girl up and she BITES ME. HARD!!!! I was shocked, hurt and pissed. Where did she get this behavior from? It seriously was just a natural instinct for her to bite. Luckily after a very firm no and some tears we haven't had a biting experience since. Please cross your fingers she doesn't bite again. I don't want to have a biter.
Can you see the teeth marks? This picture doesn't do justice to the horrific bite.
Endearing? NOT SO MUCH

3. I really don't like to carry a purse, even a diaper bag. I wear jackets specially so I can put the necessities in my pockets. Charlotte on the other hand loves purses and bags. She is constantly trying to wear them on her shoulder and carry them around. Such a girl.
Notice she is wearing a necklace in the pictures. Looks good with her Christmas pajamas right?
Yes, Charlotte still wears her Christmas pj's even if it almost April.
Endearing? Yes.

4. We got a baby for Charlotte for Christmas. (Stop what you are thinking, it's not for her to practice holding a baby for a baby brother or sister arriving soon. Not even CLOSE my friends. We just thought it would be sweet to get her one.) She loves that baby. She takes it everywhere. She gives it loves and kisses and I think it's so sweet. We haven't been around any babies, she doesn't see me hold one and take it everywhere, she just does it on her own. I love this new little behavior she has adopted. ONE day, later than sooner, Charlotte will be a great older sister.
Endearing? Yes and yes.

5. Charlotte has recently discovered noses. If she is sitting on your lap she will grab your nose and repeat the word nose over and over. She points to the baby's nose, the dog's nose, my nose, and her own nose. Well the other day as I'm cooking dinner, (Mike is gone so I stick her in her high chair with Baby Einstein on the lap top, so I can at least get one thing done without her pulling on my leg begging for me to hold her. Seriously dinner time is the hardest time of day! Anyone agree?) I look over and Charlotte has her finger IN her nose, still repeating the word nose over and over. Oh dear. Really? Not loving the idea of a nose picker.
Endearing? No.
Gross. Yes.

6. Charlotte just knows if she gets hurt or is sad she needs her mommy. Even if Mike is around, and something goes wrong, 99% of the time she comes to me. Kids just love their mommies.
Endearing? Yes.
Charlotte is not a natural snuggler.
She never has been.
So to get a hug from her is such a treat, even if it means she is sad.

Love this crazy pickle. She is a hand full and one stubborn girl, but man I love her spunky personality. I'll take a spit fire over a dud any day.

12 comments:

Jamie said...

So cute! Now she needs little dress up high heel shoes (Ethan loved those when he was two--not endearing!)

katherine said...

oh i love her, but not that biting! i think she gets the purse thing from me and the necklace thing from lou. just sayin. what a cut little pickle.


ps, thanks for the shout out, yer awesome.

Bobbi said...

Oh I love this post! I love you and I love her! She made Liesl baby hungry at the shower on Saturday...NOT A GOOD THING, haha!

The Speres said...

These are the types of things that Bryce and I are anxiously awaiting as we enter the parenting world--seeing these fun (and some not so fun...) personality quirks develop in our own kids.

{I loved seeing you and that cute little peanut on Saturday!}

Stephanie said...

Love it! The biting will pass, then come back to haunt her when she has siblings! Usually it's the younger siblings biting the older ones.

Lacey said...

Oh my goodness what a cutie pie! Don't you just love these silly kiddies! I am glad she hasn't bit you again, fingers crossed! And yes dinner time is by far the worst time of day, all around no one is happy.

Megan said...

This post made me laugh, and bitingis no fun I hope that was a first and last! Hope all is well Laura, crazy how our sprucewood days were 5 years ago already!

Katie M. said...

I love this post!!! And I really love that you called her pickle- a cute one. That made my day!

Sarah M said...

laura she is so awesome. isn't it crazy how their little personalities come out? cj loves pink and i have no idea where that came from... cj also loved to bite and hit for a long time. i thought i was destined to be her lifelong punching bag. i'm so happy everything has it's season.

Anonymous said...

My friend- that is sooo true! Audrey LOVES pink. I'm not a big fan of it and some how she has adopted this love on her own. And the biting...I have had similar experiences, yes multiple times of this happening. I have had some lovely teeth marks on my neck, shoulders, legs...NO GOOD- and I definitely didn't teach her that one! Those darn, wonderful babies! We need to get together soon please.

Does it Matter? said...

Oh girls are just the best aren't they?! They do love such frilly things and it's so fun to see them become their own person.

Monica said...

Laura, she is sooo cute! I love her! My Audrey is really into noses, and necklaces too. I think they would be great friends. :)I hope the biting thing was just a one time thing. But, don't worry too much. My 1st was a biter and I was SO stressed about it and now he is the sweetest, loving, most well behaved little boy who wouldn't hurt a fly! It was just a phase he out grew. But it is good to always be on top of it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails