Monday, April 4, 2011

Highs and Lows

We had a roller coaster of a weekend, with many good high points and some pretty bad down moments too.

HIGH: Running one of my favorite races, The Salt Lake 10 miler down Emigration Canyon
Salt Lake 10 miler April 2, 2011
Seeing Charlotte in the crowd, closing in on the finish line

Fellow 10 mile runners
Annie (my cousin), myself, and Liz Grant (who by the way is an AMAZING runner)

HIGH: Running with my cousin Annie. It's been a long time since we've been able to run together since we've both had babies in the last year and a half. It was such a treat to run hard together, chat and push each other to the end. I love my cousin Annie. It was also fun to hang out with Liz before and after the race. During the race we didn't see Liz. She is so freakin fast and took off from us during the race after about 1/10 of a mile. I've run a couple of times with her and it's always so kind of her to slow down for my turtle pace.

HIGH: Watching my brother in law Lance finish his first 10 mile race. There is nothing more inspiring than seeing someone finish a long race for the first time in their life. He did awesome and I'm so proud of him for pushing himself to do something challenging.

HIGH: Mike got home from work at noon Saturday afternoon. We got to spend the rest of the day together as a family

HIGH: Hanging out with my mom and sister Saturday evening. I love a night with my girls.

LOW: Feeling horribly sick Saturday night after pounding a burger and fries from Wendy's. Why do I allow myself to eat crap? Thought I would throw up for sure. Killed any sort of fun Saturday night plans once Mike got home from the Priesthood session of General Conference.

LOW: Charlotte waking up at 5:55 a.m. Sunday morning. I'm an early bird but not THAT early. I'm soooooooo over these early morning wakings. I'd even take 6:30 a.m. at this point.

LOW: Seeing the ground covered with snow Sunday morning, and having it snow throughout the day on Sunday. Rain, I'll take, even a cold rain but please no more snow.

LOW: Feeling super down and depressed Sunday. I don't know if it was the weather, the super early morning, or having Mike go to work for another 30 hours knowing we won't see him again until Monday afternoon, but I couldn't get out of my funk. I felt like a bad mom who had no idea how to entertain and appease my 15 month old daughter who was super crazy due to only 9 hours of sleep the night before. I can usually pull myself out of those moods after a couple of hours but man I was struggling on Sunday. Not trying to be a Debbie downer friends, I'm just keeping it real. Some days are just hard being a mom, I'm not about to pretend that life is perfect and wonderful all the time.

HIGH: Having Emily (my sister) come over Sunday afternoon. We had a good bawl fest, then laughed our worries away. Sometimes you just need to vent, get things off your chest, have a good cry and then you feel better. Emily saved the day yesterday. I don't know what I would do without ANY of my sisters. They always come through when I need them.

HIGH: Being able to watch General Conference all weekend. I always feel uplifted, rejuvenated and inspired after listening to the talks given during General Conference. I especially enjoyed this talk, this talk, and this talk.

Despite the low moments of the weekend, I would say the HIGH points definitely out weigh the low points. The race was perfect, spending time together as a family when Mike was home was fabulous, watching General Conference was what I needed and I love laughing with my mom and sisters. I feel lucky to live so close to most (I miss you daily Mandy!) of my family.

6 comments:

Lacey said...

oh lar, i am so proud of you for running like a champ, that picture makes it look like you are flying! i am sure you were! and hello you DO NOT run at a turtles pace, nice try. i am sorry about your lows over the weekend, you can call me anytime if your sisters can't come over, i hope you consider me an almost sister! you are to me! love you girl!

lauren ann said...

Looks like such a fun race, so glad you got to do it with your cousin. Thanks for keeping it real- it definitely doesn't happen enough in the blog world:).

Beth said...

Congrats on your race!

I love that you linked your favorite talks--I just finished listening to Lynn G. Robbins again. SO well written--I think I can study it for many years to come.

Katie M. said...

K, Liz is speedy bunny rabbit runner but YOU ARE TOO. This turtle talk is all bluff! Looks like a really fun race. I'm now sad having not done it- our "long" run on Saturday ended up being about that length anyways.. Darn.

I hear ya on the snow!! Amen! It was a real downer too.
Conference was amazing. Loved it loved it loved it.

You had some really good highs- and some really justified lows. Thank you for sharing!!! Are you running SL half??

The Speres said...

Low days just happen--even before being a mommy! I think we all need good sleep, good food, and good company to get through those difficult (and snowy...boo!) days. Let me know if you're ever in a walking mood---my turtle pace is quite literally a turtle pace these days! haha.
PS. General Conference is really always such a pick-me-up!

katherine said...

thanks for the shout out to lancer. and thanks for all your encouragement and for answering all his/our questions about running stuff too! you are a great runner! don't underestimate yourself ler. keep up the great work, you are an inspiration to more than you realize.

love you sis.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails