RECIPE FOR HUMBLE PIE
Ingredients:
1 marathon
80+ degree temperatures
Very small amounts of electrolytes
Directions:
First put a lot of time and energy into training. Then put it on a blog that you are running a marathon and want to get a PR. Wake up bright and early with your friends feeling ready and pumped for a good run. Begin running slow to conserve energy. Hit more hills then you were physically and mentally prepared for. Don’t forget to drink lots of water since it’s already warm and you’re sweating quite a bit. Only take GU at mile 9 and wait as long as you can to replenish your electrolytes, that way your body won't have all the energy it needs. Begin picking up your pace half way through the race and enjoy the beginning of downhill, even though you can begin to feel some twinges and cramping in your calves. Hit mile 18 with completely cramped calves, and dry mouth. Begin walking because your legs are done, DONE and will no longer allow you to run. Walk/run the last 8 miles and watch your goal that you were on track to reach slowly slip away from you. Finally after walking/slowly jogging for the last 8 miles cross the finish line 26:13 minutes after your goal time with a smile on your face reveling in the fact that you’re finally done. Your humble pie is done and you’re ready for a full helping for the next 24/48 hours.
So needless to say my marathon did not go as I planned or hoped. Truth be told I was pretty heart broken with the way things turned out. I had put so much time and energy into training for the last four months. I had envisioned and self talked my way through it all making sure I had a plan and would be ready for the big day. But things didn’t pan out for me. I’m just not a marathoner; it’s not my distance. I'm not one of those people who can just run marathons easily and enjoy them.
I learned a few things over the weekend and through out the whole marathon process.
I have the absolute best husband. He was a real champ through all the training and the actual marathon. I couldn’t have done it without all of his help with Charlotte and support and encouragement.
Second running with people makes all the difference. I ran with this darling girl for the first 17 miles. I finally told her to just take off and I was beginning to struggle. Then one of my dear, dear running partners drove all the way down to St. George just to run the last ten miles with me. She absolutely saved my life. She talked to me and helped me finish those last treacherous 8 miles. I know I wouldn't have finished it she hadn't been there with me. There’s nothing like the bond between running partners. Not even kidding.
Third I think, for me, in order to enjoy marathons I need to do them more often than every 7 years. I had totally forgotten the mind games and difficulty of a marathon even with good training. However this isn't the time in my life to be running marathons frequently. I'm glad I got the itch of the marathon out of my system and realized it's not the right season of my life for them.
And finally the most important thing I was reminded of, happened during the afternoon session of general conference. Yes running can and should be an important part of my life. It’s a good, healthy passion to have but there are much more important things in life. Being a wife and mother, and faithful church member needs to be my biggest priority, not making sure I fit in every kind of workout, hit every mile repeat at a certain pace, and run x amount of miles each day. Running is still going to be a big part of my life, I love it, it’s my passion but it’s not going TO BE MY LIFE. Make sense? I realized the last four months the marathon consumed me. It was all I thought about it. My life was planned around Saturday morning long runs. Much of the productivity and happiness of my day was based on how my run went in the morning. What? So wrong. I run because it’s fun and I love it and I lost that a bit with my training. I mean it when I said I was served humble pie this weekend. It was quite devastating to feel as poorly as I did, and not make my goal, but I know there is a deeper lesson to be learned from all of it and in the grand scheme of things this race does not define me as a runner or a person.
That’s all.
Thanks for indulging me.
8 comments:
Laura: You will always be a hero in my eyes, and Danielle's, also. Congratulations on being part of the 80% that finished.
LOVE you sugar!!!! I think you are awesome whether you run a whole marathon or not. xoxoxo
Laura-that is exactly what I said to Jeff. "I hope that Laura doesn't think that this race defines her." Because it doesn't. What does define you is that you finished. It was hard, you had total cotton mouth, stomach cramps, heat, and your legs were on fire and you didn't quit. You are awesome and I am so proud of you. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.
Ha ha. Humble pie. Oh, Laura, that is a good one.
You have stolen the words RIGHT out of my mind and mouth. Seriously. Every word you wrote in this post, I can totally ECHO and REPEAT whole heartedly. You have encapsulated this last year of running for me.
And guess what?? (this is the lecture I've had to give myself numbers of times). Running doesn't define you. That is the precise phrase I've used all year for my slower times as of late. Frustrating yes, that all the training and hard work and sacrifice didn't produce more desired results. But marathon day is such a crazy combination of pure luck, feeling good, and good training. You didn't have your best day. It happens to everyone at some point or another.
Whether you get a 3:00 or a 4 or a 5 marathon, it really doesn't matter ultimately. I have to ask myself, did I work hard and honestly hard? Did I come closer to God through the entire process? Did I make/strengthen a friendship or two through out it all? Did I increase in prayer and testimony? If you can answer yes to those questions, your marathon was a huge success!!! People are (should be) extolled and admired for their character, not their speed or age placement in a race.
You worked so hard for this and you deserve to feel so proud of yourself for doing a marathon for the first time in 7 years with so much gusto and effort!! That is truly laudable.
Sorry for the soap box post. You know that my running year of races has been similarly humbling/vexing, so perhaps I'm lecturing myself too:).
WAY TO GO! 26.2 miles under your belt!!! Woot woot!!!
PS I REALLY want to see you and chat. In person. Let me know if you're around next week.
you're awesome. and you did it! it's over and yay you can go back to enjoying running again! :)
Good....no EXCELLENT job, Laura! It amazes me that people run that far. And you did. Even with the hardships you experienced. Honestly, I would have just stopped and said "oh well." Go you. Seriously.
girl - you are awesome. i seriously admire and look up to you so much. you are dedicated, determined and you excel at running. more importantly, you are dedicated, determined and you excel at everything else you do in life - motherhood, friendship, service, etc. you're the best! hugs!
I still submit that training for and FINISHING one, no matter the time, is awesome. Way to go! And I totally agree that running should be an enriching, not all encompassing, experience.
Post a Comment