Wednesday, April 7, 2010

SEW FUN

Since having Charlotte, in my down time (which isn't much surprisingly) I've really gotten into sewing. I have to say I'm definitely an amateur and I would much rather create my own project than follow a pattern. Hence, sometimes my projects don't turn out so fabulous. Regardless it's been a fun hobby to develop and I've found it to be very relaxing.

My first project was to make a cover for Charlotte's car seat. I've seen them in the mall and on etsy but I wasn't about to pay $15-20 bucks for it. Rip off. I thought to myself, "I could make that", so I did. It's probably not as durable or as long lasting as those I could buy in the mall but I think it turned out alright and it works for the time being.
,

My aunt is the famous Bobbi from Boppityboo. Maybe you've seen her on etsy, her cute blog or even Studio 5. I feel cool because she's my aunt. She is a very talented seamstress so back in February I spent the morning at her house learning some of her tricks.
One of the things Bobbi taught me was how to make these darling skirts.
You would be amazed with how easy they are to make.
Can't wait for Charlotte to wear it this spring.

I've also made some burp clothes and swaddle blankets for Charlotte.
All snuggled up ready for a nap.

I've tried my hand at making some headbands for my sweet babus.
Can you see in the picture above of Charlotte, her balding head? She loosing her hair all too quickly. I'm hoping the headband will be a cute distraction to her thinning hair. (JK friends)

The projects I've been enjoying the most are spicing up some onesies for Charlotte. Check them out below:


The best part about all these projects: Charlotte has no choice but to wear them.
She can't complain or tell me how imperfect they are. Ha!

Sewing projects are in the air, my oh so darling friend Jen sent me these booties for Charlotte. Aren't they adorable?
I think she needs to open an etsy shop and sell them.
Thanks again Jen!
PS if you are ever needing a good book to read, you should look at Jen's blog.
She gives reviews on all the books she reads and she reads A TON!
She also has a book club blog you should check out.

What projects have you been working on?
Feeling crafty lately?
Do you follow patterns or create your own?
Please share!

12 comments:

Lacey said...

laura you are amazing! i want you to teach me how to make those skirts! everything is super cute! lets get together soon!

Bobbi said...

Yeah you!!! Love all those onesies, and the hair things.....too cute! xoxoxo

Allison said...

I don't sew, but you are inspiring me to try. Everything is adorable!

Liz said...

All so cute! Very crafty and I am impressed that you are using your down time so productively! I hope to one day become crafty too...

lauren ann said...

you are on a roll!! I am so impressed with all that you have made. can we PLEASE have a sewing day and you can teach me your skills. I LOVE that skirt- I want one my size:)

katherine said...

awesome post. and awesome baby. she is SO DANG CUTE!! oh i love her. so much.

projects . . . i have been working on more necklaces - it has been fun. i have one that says "time and season" - it reminds me that right now i can not do everything i want to - there is a time and a season to life.

and no, i hate following patterns, just like i hate to follow a recipe strictly. i always have to do a little (or big) something to make it my own. and ya, sometimes the results aren't so great. oh well.

love you sister.

Beth said...

Had to read when I saw your title. Awesome seatcover! I also like the swaddle blanket.

I am more of a pattern follower right now, but hope to branch out when I have more skill.

This is one of my favorites for cute ideas & great photos
http://www.dana-made-it.com/

Jen Vincent said...

I've been waiting for this post!!!! I love the black and white polka-dots. I bought a pattern that I think has a carseat cover. It has a sling that I was thinking about making. I don't usually like patterns, but lately I have really liked them just because I don't have to think quite as much and things still turn out cute. I wait until Simplicity patterns go on sale at JoAnn's for 99 cents and then scoop them up!!! I love your sewing creations!!!

Katie M. said...

so very creative, so very very cute and talented you are! I love the yellow rosettes along the neckline on onesie #1, and adore the skirt. hmm.. how can we apply this cuteness to some boy stuff?

Your purple ruffle onesies-- i actually love the direction and placement you have them in-- i made some a few months ago as gifts but stitched the ruffles horizantally across the backside of the onesie, just above baby's buttox. It kinda resembled a tu-tu or something odd like that? But I love the front-side ruffles on the chest...i might be compelled now to make some for our newborn, and he'll like them whether he wants to or not! ha ha!

Where do you go to buy fabric, ps? Do you ever hit up elaine's? If you haven't gone yet, then i urge you not to.It's a black hole of never ending purchases; not so gentle on the wallet, know what I mean??

you are awesome. wish we sew together! I know I could learn a lot..

Sarah M said...

dang, i'm super impressed. leave it to laura. you should have your own tv show, or at least your own web series...

Circuit Fam said...

Honestly you make us "normal" moms look pretty bad Laura...with all that talent....I love it all and want it all, including a little girl at one point...ha ha. xoxo

ajm said...

Laura, I wish I was as talented as you!Everything looks so beautiful! You will have to teach me a thing or two when we move back. Charlotte is one lucky and stylish bambino, Addie and I can't wait to meet her!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails