Wednesday, January 18, 2012

2012 Word

The middle of January is already here and I think it's high time I publish my word for the year.
Put it out there. Make it real. Commit to it.

Da dada da!

Grateful


grate·ful/ˈgrātfəl/

Adjective:
Feeling or showing an appreciation of kindness; thankful.
Synonyms:
thankful - appreciative - beholden

"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues."

It seems that 2012 is going a year of change. Our biggest change coming in June when we move to Cincinnati. While Mike and I were visiting Cincinnati a few months ago, I had a slight melt down in the hotel Sunday evening. And although I was excited about this new, beautiful place we would someday call home, I was feeling overwhelmed, anxious and nervous about all the things I would have to adjust to. Find new friends, navigate a new city, unpack a house, find new places to take Charlotte, hopefully find a new running buddy, new grocery store, blah, blah, bah. I felt my eyes tearing up and let all the emotions come out. Poor Mikey. He's a saint to listen and love me. During the middle of my meltdown something came over me. I had a small, clear moment when I realized I'M LUCKY I GET TO DO THIS. THIS MOVE IS A GOOD THING! I'm telling you these feelings came from above because I had a very strong feeling of peace come over me. I knew it was all going to be ok and we would love our time in Cincinnati for how ever long it may be.

This moment has stuck with me. I realized I need to be more grateful for this opportunity as well as so many opportunities that come my way.
We all know people who are grateful are happier, and I sure want to be a happier person.

So for 2012 I'll be grateful for...
the chance I have to learn and grow in a new place, rather than be upset I have to pick up and move.
the body I have, rather than always wish I was in better shape.
the time I have to be at home all day with Charlotte, rather than wish some of the hard days away.
the snow, rather than hate the cold, white nuisance.
etc, etc, etc,

Cheers to a happier, more grateful year!

Some pinterest goodies to end on....

5 comments:

Katie M. said...

I've waited with bated breath to see what your 2012 word would be and you picked a wonderful one. The top image/picture I haven't yet seen on pinterest- that is fabulous oh i am loving it.

You will do outstandingly great in CN, OH, I just know it. You are outgoing, the opposite of lazy, fun, easy to warm up to, ambitious, daring,willing to try new things, etc etc...and you are so lucky to be moving. It's always an adventure!! I hope we get another chance too.

Saturday was so fun. I'd really love to hit pavement with you, or something with the kids, again really soon.Kapeesh?

The Speres said...

I am grateful to have a friend like you, Laura. We need to get together soon. Call me!

katherine said...

yer awesome sis. really, this is a great and inspiring post!! thanks for all your encouragement!

Jamie said...

I love it! Thank you being such a great example to all of us!

Lacey said...

i have been wondering what your word would be for the year. this is an excellent word and definitely one i needed reminding of. i don't remember you telling me you had a break down in OH, i totally understand it though. that will be a big change, but if anyone can handle and is prepared to handle it, you are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails