Thursday, October 8, 2009

Something new

My word for the year is NEW. I'm really good at staying in my comfort zone, doing things that don't scare or intimidate me, and taking the easy way out of any situation. This year I've really tried to embrace my word and try NEW things. I've tried new recipes, new races, new genres of books. But I have to say, my sweet husband, who I adore, has really helped me step out of my comfort zone and try new things including, cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, going on new adventurous hikes and not to mention having a baby and being pregnant (a whole NEW world, really).

Well Mike's done it again.

Some background info:
Since being pregnant my homemaker side has come out. I consider myself more a left brained person. I love math and puzzles, I'm analytical, I thrive off structure and order. But I just might be more crafty and artsy than I thought. I've started baking, I cook dinner everyday but I'm talking about making cookies, brownies, something I've never spent time doing. I helped paint our baby room, and want to paint a few other things on the walls.

We'll I've always wanted to learn how to sew. I took a sewing class in junior high but I'm pretty sure my mom sewed all my projects for me. I mentioned this desire to Mike and have had his full support from the moment the words came out of my mouth.

For my birthday Mike bought me this gem...

He sat down with me when I first got it and made sure I knew how to thread the machine, and wind the bobbin. (Yes it's true he is much better at sewing than I am.) Mike got me the best sewing machine ever, well as far as I know, I'm just a beginner. But I've already used the machine a lot. Some of my projects include:
A little family of owls for my little one.
My cute friend Lindsey, who is one of the craftiest people I know, made this owl and shared the link with her blogging friends. I found the link and tried it myself. I think they turned out pretty cute. Just don't look too closely, you'll see that I'm not as meticulous as I should be. (Thanks Lindsey for sharing your ideas and crafts!)

I've also tried making a few burp cloths for the babus.
Again, I know there are lots of mistakes but I've got to start somewhere right?

And I'm currently working on this little number for the baby room...
The project is almost complete. I'll post pics when I'm done.

I'm taking a sewing class ALL BY MYSELF. You've got to know this is a bold, new thing for me.
Tonight is our third session and we finally get to bring our sewing machines for the first time! Is it totally nerdy that I can't wait?

What have you tried that is new?
Is there something you've always wanted to do but have yet to do it?
Do you sew?
What do you like to sew?
Please share!

***PS thanks for the tips and advice on the post below! Your insight is much appreciated!

16 comments:

Amanda said...

That machine is SO nice! I'm so excited for all of your craftiness.

How is it the Mike knows how to sew? Really?

Your owls are adorable! Can't wait to see what your finished project looks like.

{littlefam} said...

that is awesome that you are developing a new talent & hobby! i love your owls - such great color schemes! can't wait to see how the mobile turns out! i think our husbands should hang out more - jon will be so excited to learn that mike is a fellow "fabric welder" (he calls it that to make it sound more masculine!)

Bobbi said...

I think this is so awesome. I saw that cute little birdie mobile somewhere (can't remember what blog). But I remember thinking that it was the cutest thing ever. I am so proud of you. My big advice to you (I know I've already told you) don't be afraid to try anything. Cut, sew, make mistakes, rip out seams, try again. That's how you learn. AAAAh I love you!

Kathy Lou said...

NICE JOB!!
I am such a hack sewer. I took a quilting class (log cabin block) when I was in my early 20s and really found the process of sewing a mix of stressful, and very satisfying. I don't make clothes (for me at least) because getting things to fit a body is TOTALLY different than making cute owls. I have been making some owls too. They are fun! I'm trying to teach myself some hand embroidery so I can attach eyes and mouths and other body parts. The hand work just makes it extra special. Just remember, YOU will know all the flaws in your sewing, no one else will care at all. Marc always reminds me the flaws are what make it handmade with love. :-)
PS- Marc made chair covers for the dining room chairs. His first sewing attempt was AWESOME, of course, he is like that with everything he does.
(Every once in a while take your machine for a tune up. It's like an oil change in the car, runs much better afterward. Once a year or so, or every 13 if you're me.)

Beth said...

Love sewing! Find our blog from Tara's and search "sewing" if you REALLY are wondering what my latest projects are. A mommy MD in my ward teaches sewing twice a month--it's been a lot of fun to learn NEW tricks.

The project for your nursery is very cute. . . can't wait to see.

Children do bring out creativity you didn't know you had, and girls are fun to sew for!

Great gift!

Lacey said...

I love this post for many reasons. i love that you are trying new things, i love that you are being crafty and i love everything that you have made and am so proud of you! seriously lar, you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oooh friend-
Mike's mom got me a sewing machine this summer. Like you I've always wanted to sew...I was am, well was horrible...I haven't sewn anything since 7th grade home ec. I got a C+ in sewing...my first and last C+. We need to have sewing get togethers so you can show me how! I still haven't used it yet. Oh and check your email soon- I am sending you mom info.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Laura - I read your word post and loved it!

I too have a great desire to take up sewing, but I find I overwhelm myself with all the different things I want to do - so I am working to improve in a few other departments before taking up sewing. But I was wondering where you do take sewing, for future reference. Thanks!

Jen Vincent said...

FUN! That is awesome! I have an ancient Singer sewing machine that my grandmother gave me that I sew on and it basically only does a straight stitch but I love it. Yours looks amazing though!!!! And I love your owls! You are way creative! I like sewing because you can follow a pattern but you can choose the fabric so you are still staying within the lines but you get to be a little bit creative. Kathy does some great projects. I'm working on Jordan's Halloween costume right now...it's simple, but it's fun. Can't wait to see what else you sew up!!!! :)

Monica said...

Wow, Laura! I am impressed! Your projects look amazing. Your baby girl's room will be adorable.

Good for you for developing your talents. I have secretly always wanted to learn how to sew!

Liz said...

Yet another amazing accomplishment my dear! You have completely inspired me to try sewing again. Like so many of us the last time I ever sewed anything was in junior high...and I was the one who really liked it! Just never kept doing it. I LOVE your machine...I am putting it on my wish list for birthday/holidays...maybe if I had that sitting in my house I would pick up a new hobby & make adorable crafty things too - thank you for sharing all you do, it is such a great motivator!

The Harpers said...

I love to sew! It's such a handy and fun thing to know how to do. Just today I made a bedskirt for my bed, sheets and pillowcase for Reina's bed, curtains for a bedroom, and hemmed some jeans that were too long (we just moved into a new place, I do NOT sew this much on a daily basis). You'll be amazed with all the things you can do. I think it is soooo awesome that you have started this!! One of my all time favorite beginner projects is a shower curtain. SUPER easy and fast, and it makes for a cheap way to redo a bathroom. If you want specific instructions I can give them to you, just let me know.

katherine said...

i am so proud of you lera. you are so creative (who knew!?) and are coming up with some great projects! good for you for starting something new and going with it! you are awesome.

The Speres said...

I took a 6th-month sewing class up in this little studio in Olympus Hills in 7th grade with [drumroll] Nicole Heinze! Uh huh! And we made skorts, jackets, pillowcases (of course), aprons. Then I let my "talent" fall to the wayside and have in recent years tried to pick it up again. I feel I am pretty good at aprons now and can also knock out a few baby towels (ask katie tingey) when I get the urge.
I say GOOD FOR YOU! Sewing is definitely a lost art that should be revisited by our generation!

kristyle said...

Your creations are so cute! Proud of you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails